Saturday, July 9, 2011

I'm 31 and, *gasp*, single. Truth be told I did not think that this is how it was going to turn out. Like most girls, I had a plan for my life, and that plan included being married and having my first child at 30. Well, here I am, a year older than planned, and sill attending all my events stag. The reality is that I love my life. I have great friends, an active social life, and the freedom to do whatever I want whenever I want.

Do I have regrets? No. Do I have moments of loneliness and self doubt? Sure, however, I also have a killer wardrobe, and about a hundred pairs of shoes.

The reality is that we no longer live in a society in which people graduate high school, and get married at 20. I think that this is still the underlying expectation, but there are a lot more of us who are just not willing to settle for anything less than perfect. For a lot of us that means waiting until we're in our 30s, 40s, and even 50s before meeting a great partner and settling down. Am I okay with waiting until my 50s to get married? No. Will I wait that long if that's how long it takes? Absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment